If you’re in the market for a large adjustable bed, you will soon realize that there are many variations to this class of beds. Many couples start with a queen-sized adjustable bed, but many of them left with wanting to upgrade to a larger size later on. A queen size adjustable bed can begin to
What To Look For When Choosing An Adjustable Bed - A Detailed Guide
Adjustable beds have earned significant popularity over the last couple of years. For the longest time, the beds were only used by old, injured, or disabled people and were considered more of a luxury. Through the years, manufacturers have come up with a vast range of styles, designs, and price options to choose from. Today, these adjustable beds are used as any other furniture in the house, both by the healthy and young and the old and feeble.
Do You Need an Adjustable Bed?
- How do you feel when you wake up in the morning? Do you feel fully charged and satisfied with the quality of your sleep?
- Is there anything else that might be interfering with the quality of your sleep? If you’re a light sleeper, a barking puppy or a cat’s meow could be waking you up. If you’re a foodie who indulges in late-night munching on sodas and sugary foods, you know the culprit already. What if your room’s temperature is too cold or too hot? All these elements can interfere with the quality of your sleep – but if you don’t have any of these issues and everything else is perfect, your bed could be the offender.
- Did you get a chance to sleep in someone else’s guest room or a hotel room bed and you slept really well? If so, you seriously need to question your bed’s sufficiency.
- Do you struggle with getting a full 7–9-hour sleep at night, despite maintaining a strict sleeping schedule? If the number falls below 7 and you feel sluggish and tired all day long, your bed could be causing distraction.
- What sleep position works best for you at night? Is it sideways, upside down, or curled into a fetal position? Do you need to tuck in pillows here and there to achieve that perfect sleeping position? While stacking pillows can help you in some way or another, they aren’t stable at all, and you find yourself struggling to achieve that perfect sleep position all night. This is where an adjustable bed can be your savior. It will help you achieve the comfiest sleep position without the hassle of fiddling with pillows and cushions.
- So, you’ve done it all – from rescheduling your sleeping patterns to maintaining a comfortable ambiance and avoiding eating before bedtime to remediating your sleep posture. Still, you wake up with pain and discomfort around your back, behind your neck, and in your shoulders. If this happens every morning, your bed is no longer doing its job. An adjustable bed will provide your back, muscles, and joints all the support they need to help you achieve comfortable sleep at night.
- Apart from sleeping, do you use your bed to surf your tablet or laptop, read books, write, eat, and watch TV? If your answer is yes, then an adjustable bed is a must-have for you. The benefits it offers in terms of support, comfort, and convenience are far beyond what you’re getting from your current bed at the moment.
Benefits of Adjustable Beds
If you are still unsure whether investing in an adjustable bed is a good idea, you might want to consider the health benefits of using an adjustable bed.
No, you don’t need to be sick or old to reap its benefits – people of all ages and health statuses can enjoy them. We have compiled a few for you:
- People who sleep on adjustable beds have better blood circulation and improved breathing. This is particularly useful in pregnant and lactating women and in people who have had recent surgery.
Adjustable beds can help lower joint swelling and decrease shoulder and back pain.
- People using adjustable beds experience lower heartburn. This is because when you sleep on an adjustable bed, your body lies in a supine position, and it raises higher from your waist, reducing your risk of having heartburn and GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease). GERD is the reflux of acid from your stomach to the esophagus. In GERD, one feels an intense burning sensation around the chest and throat.
People who suffer from foot swelling can benefit from using an adjustable bed. By elevating your bed’s foot position, your lower half can be elevated above your heart, releasing pressure from your feet.
- If you constantly suffer from lower-back pain, you can slightly raise your adjustable bed from the head and foot section. In this position, you can sleep in a zero-gravity position as your head and lower half are elevated, but your middle-half rests comfortably. Whatever position suits you, you can adjust your bed settings at the touch of a button.
- Some ultra-luxe, high-end models of adjustable beds come with a vibration mechanism that functions as a stress-relieving and muscle-warming built-in massager.
What to Consider When Getting an Adjustable Bed
If you’re thinking about purchasing an adjustable bed, chances are you might be overwhelmed with the amount of information out there. Like any other bed, an adjustable bed too comes in a range of sizes, materials, designs, and models, and finding the one that best fits your needs can be a daunting task. This is exactly why we have assembled a mini-guide highlighting the key quality attributes of a good adjustable bed, most suited for you.
Ready to hop in your new adjustable bed? Read on!
Ease of Use
Ease of use is the key feature you should look out for when purchasing a new product, especially an adjustable bed. Firstly, the control buttons on your bed should be in easy reach. This is particularly important for older or ill people who have a limited mobility range and can’t get up to adjust their bed.
Likewise, some adjustable beds come with dual controls, meaning you can easily adjust their position on either side. These options are ideal for couples sharing a bed – adjust the side you’re using as per your liking while your partner sleeps comfortably on their side.
While adjustable beds are valued for the comfort and flexibility they offer, they don’t need to look boring (after all, you are not purchasing a hospital bed). This is why most of the frontrunning brands offer various trendy designs and styles to choose from.
Depending upon your personal preference, you can go for more of a vintage look, the good old classic style, or something that looks (and feels) more luxurious. The options are literally endless, so take your time to explore all the best available.
Duration of Warranty
While almost all leading brands offer a limited-time warranty on their adjustable beds, the length of their offer can vary. The warranty period can range anywhere from 2 to 5 years. More so, some brands offer a warranty on the entire product while others may only be offering it on specific parts – such as motor and handset.
You might not find all the information on the product’s leaflet, so ensure to ask about the warranty of the adjustable bed you plan to purchase.
Just like any other regular bed, adjustable beds need to be assembled at home. Some adjustable bed specialists offer assembly services, while others do not. If you are someone who is getting an adjustable bed just to enhance your comfort level and can do the assembly yourself, then it’s no big deal. On the other hand, if you have mobility issues, it’s better to check for assembly services.
Simplicity of User Manual
This is particularly important if you’re purchasing an adjustable bed for the first time. You haven’t done it before, so the user guide coming along with your bed must be clear with easy-to-follow instructions. Ensure that all the instructions in the user guide are written in simple terms and are easy to comprehend.
You should consider a bunch of features when choosing an adjustable bed, and the remote control is one of them. Some adjustable beds come with a wired remote control, while others may offer a wireless remote. While wireless remote controls are convenient to use, they can easily be misplaced and might interfere with other wireless devices you are using at home.
One great feature about adjustable beds is their flexible price range. From under $2,000 to above $10,000, there’s a range of pricing available for everyone out there. Adjustable beds with a more extended warranty and premium features such as a built-in massager for instance fall towards a higher price point than others. Based on your budget, you can settle down on the best available option.
- Both young and healthy and old and injured people can use adjustable beds.
- Understanding how an adjustable bed can improve your sleep quality is important.
- An adjustable bed helps you sleep in a comfortable position all night.
- By elevating an adjustable bed, you can give your lower back, feet, and shoulders much-needed rest.
- These beds come in a range of styles, designs, materials, and prices.
- If you are planning to purchase an adjustable bed for the first time, ensure that it’s easy to use, easy to assemble, and comes with a simple user guide.
- Some adjustable beds come with a higher warranty period, while others do not. Check with the user manual to learn more about warranty terms and conditions.
- The remote control should be easy to use. It can be wired or wireless.
- Budget is another feature worth considering when getting an adjustable bed. The price point can vary from $2,000 to $10,000.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How are costly adjustable beds different from those with a lower cost?
At a higher price, you often get a longer warranty duration that lasts up to several years. Other worth-mentioning features include a massager, a built-in timer that returns the bed to a flat position once you fall asleep, and adjustable firmness.
Can adjustable beds be sold separately?
Typically, the motorized base of an adjustable bed is sold separately, but some brands sell a complete package as well. For first-timers, it’s a good idea to find a combined unit.
Choosing an adjustable bed is not easy, especially if you’re buying one for the first time. There are several ways an adjustable bed can benefit your health, fight discomfort, and improve sleep quality. Knowing the key features to look out for when choosing an adjustable bed can save you both time and money.
Like this article?
Share It With Others
Learn More About Adjustable Beds
Finding the most popular adjustable bed is no longer a strenuous task. All you would be requiring is understanding the basics, the advantages, and the benefits that you receive when you are opting for an adjustable bed over the traditional flatbed. Once you have the information, you can quickly search for the right product that
If you face trouble sleeping, investing in a twin XL adjustable bed could be the right thing to help you feel comfy for a relaxing sleep. No longer barely for the ailing or wounded, adjustable beds are mainstream now for anybody to utilize at home. Even trendy mattress brands sell their proprietary adjustable bases! A