Top 8 Memory Foam Futons in 2020 – Ultimate Guide
Futon mattresses are very much like traditional mattresses with a few perks of their own. You can use them as a classy part of your furniture and décor, while still making comfort and relaxing a priority. Throw in a memory foam mattress for the futon and you have yourself a cozy little nest right in your living room. As an added bonus, memory foam futons are lighter on the pocket as compared to the thin cotton futons. The contemporary and hip style of futons aren’t as bulky or space consuming as sofa sets and fit perfectly in small spaces. These trendy and light weight furniture pieces are totally in style these days, and in this article you’ll know everything about memory foam futons and how to select the one that’s the right fit for your house.
Read our complete guide about the best mainstays memory foam futons.
What is a Futon?
Simply put, futon is a type of bedding that takes origin from Japanese traditions. In fact, you’ll find futons instead of beds in many Japanese inns and hotels even to this day. A futon set typically consists of a mattress along with its duvet to give it a nice and presentable look. Ideally, these components should be light weight and airy enough to be folded away during the day, but you can find many high class futons that can be used instead of sofa sets in the living room as well. This variety of futons are like a low rising wooden sofa beds that are super comfortable and can’t be folded away. They are termed ‘western futons’ which are different then the Japanese traditional futons. Western futons are a long seat rather than a bedding, but can be used as a sofa bed when needed.
Read our latest guide about the best futons for sleeping.
Parts of Futon
There are a few basic components common to all futons.
The major determining factor of the comfort of a futon is the type of mattress used in its construction. The memory foam mattresses are the best kind, as they provide that ultra-comfort that makes you curl up and call it a day. These futon mattresses come in a variety of sizes and thickness depending on the space available and the reason of purchase. If you wish to use them as a sofa bed, the thicker and larger sofa bed style futons are a good fit. Mattress also plays an important part when you want your futon to be a bedding option, as high quality mattresses with memory foam provide a really comfortable and undisturbed night of sleep.
This is the part where you get to show your personality and mix and match with the layout and décor of your house, along with your personal aesthetics of course. The futon covers can be of different materials as well, but they all ideally have the function of covering the mattress. These covers can be in solid colors, or have patterns and designs on them depending on your preference.
As mentioned above, this is a development in western futons where they come with frames to support the mattress. These frames can be made from metal or wood, and come in different styles and sizes. The color also varies according to your preference.
This is not present in all futons. Side arms or adjustable arms on futons can add more towards the comfort and appear to be more like sofa sets. If you wish to use the futon as a bedding, these arms can offer an incline to set your pillows against and have some extra neck support. The side arms can be a part of the frame in which case they are made from the same material as the frame and are hard and comfortable to lay your head on. The more comfortable option includes arm rests that are an extension of the mattress itself.
Types of Futons
Futons can be of various types depending on their style and construction.
- Depending on Construction
The various types of constructions of the best memory foam futons depend largely on the frame material and design.
- Wood Frame – Wood frames are very common and sturdy. They are stylish and make for a pretty good looking futon that has a solid and robust construction. They are extremely durable and supportive enough for a good night of sleep. Some of these wood frames may even have drawers underneath to store your valuables and have them at an arm’s length for your convenience.
- Metal Frame – Metal frames are solid and steady. They are perhaps a tad bit more comfortable as compared to wood frame as they offer a more supportive base for sleeping. Metal also has more flexibility and it adapts and moves according to your movements. Metal also gives you far more choices of color and style.
- Depending on Style
The frames are also available in a variety of styles that can be customized according to your preference. Here are some common styles that are found in the market.
- Loveseat Futon Frame – This frame is just as beautiful as its name suggests. It’s very stylish and super comfy to cuddle up and sleep. These types of futons are designed to look more like a sofa and have thicker mattresses. They are typically smaller in size and don’t take up much space in the room.
- Bi-Fold Futon Frame – This is a more toned down version of a sofa bed with a design that has 8 solid base slats with no headboard. It is a very basic style and most commonly used in living rooms and patios.
- Tri-Fold Futon Frame – This is a variant of the above mentioned type of futon. The key difference is that it folds three ways instead of two, as the name suggests. The wooden slats construction is pretty much the same, but since it has an additional fold, you have more space to sleep as it is more adjustable.
- Depending on Use
Futons are mostly used for sleeping purposes, but there are many other ways to use this classy piece of furniture.
- Lounger Futon – This is a very intriguing design and concept for futons. They have a chic and stylish look that can be used as a centerpiece in the room. It is a statement item of furniture with a long and highly comfortable mattress with a simple yet classy duvet cover that can be used for sitting or sleeping.
- Traditional Futon – Traditional futons are by far the most common. They are simple and replace the sofa sets to offer a more space saving and affordable article of furniture for your homes. They can be of either wooden or metal based frame and have the option to be folded out for a bed.
- Arm/Armless Futons – Futons can come with or without arms depending on your preference. The cushions of the arms can be used as pillows, or the futons without arms can offer more space to lie down and sleep at night.
- Bunk Beds – Less commonly, some futons can also be designed as bunk beds for kids. They have a standard futon construction with a frame that extends up to support another mattress.
- Outdoor Futon – An outdoor futon has a more sturdy construction with a duvet that doesn’t let the mattress get dirty or absorb dirt and moisture over time. They should ideally be waterproof or at least water resistant. These futons are aesthetically pleasing and make a great part of your garden furniture to give you that extra comfort while enjoying evening tea or a nice book outside on a pleasant day.
Considerations When Buying a Memory Foam Futon
Futons are multipurpose, and their built and structure plays a very important role to determine their versatile nature and functionality. Here are a few things to keep in mind when purchasing your very own futon.
- Framework – Futons can have metal or wood framework, or a combination of both. While wood is sturdier, metal gives a more luxurious and stylish look, and metal legs are more stable and able to withstand high amount of weight. High quality wood and metal frameworks are easy to maintain. If you want a convertible futon, make sure that the framework has a back split design to fold it when required and convert it into a platform bed at night.
- Comfort – Memory foam futons are not always as comfortable as you think. Some of the memory foam mattress seaters may have spring coils that can make the seater stiff and firm. The comfiest futons have good mattress thickness, along with high quality memory foam material that supports the back and relieves stress from muscles and pressure points in the body.
- Structure – A futon is usually compact and space saving. It may or may not have arm rests depending on your needs. Some futons come with foldable arms so that you can tuck them away when space is an issue. Measure the available space in your room accurately before purchasing the futon.
- Duvet – You can really let your creativity and personal aesthetics shine through when it comes to the futon cover or duvet. The material of the duvet should be of good quality and ideally it should be waterproof to maintain the integrity and newness of the seater. The duvet is available in a variety of materials, colors and patterns. Make sure that you choose one that matches with your existing décor an interiors.
Here are some of the best memory foam futons available in the market.
Top 8 Best Memory Foam Futons in 2020
|1. Novogratz Tallulah Memory Foam Futon
|2. Mainstay Memory Foam Futon
||Sturdy wood frame and metal legs||$$$||4.6|
|3. Premium Sofa Futon Couch by DHP
||Weight bearing capacity of 600lbs||$$$||4.6|
|4. Mainstay’ Wooden Frame Memory Foam Split Seat and Back Futon
||Foldable winged armrest||$$$||4.5
|5. DHP Oscar Memory Foam, Full Size Armless Sofa Bed and Couch, Gray Futon,
||Net weight: 53. 5 lbs||$$$||4.4|
|6. Mainstay Memory Foam Futon, Black Suede + Free Clean Fabric Cloth
||Converts from sofa to sleeper in seconds||$$$||4.3
|7. Mozaic Full Size 8-Inch Cotton Twill Gel Dual Memory Foam Futon
||Futon mattress is 75 inches long, 54 inches wide and 8 inches thick||$$$||4.3|
|8. DHP Katherine Linen Futon
||Perfectly suited for your living space||$$$||4.2|
Enjoy the traditional comforts of a cozy and relaxing futon with a few modern perks to give you a well-rounded piece of furniture for the whole family. The classy vintage vibes of this beautiful memory foam futon has an ultra-comfortable memory foam mattress that can be used for lounging and sleeping with ease. The design and aesthetics of the futon comes from a place of love, as the husband wife dup of the Novogratz brand take their love for art and architecture to the next level with their signature pieces of furniture.
Features and Design
This memory foam futon is designed to be a multifunctional piece of furniture in your house. It can be used in any room of the house and doesn’t take up much space. You can turn it into a bed without any hassle and enjoy a restful night of quality sleep on the comfortable memory foam mattress. The trendy design also makes it great to display in your living room or lounge. The high quality materials used in the construction of this futon are durable and long lasting.
The frame is made from solid wood and is quite sturdy and firm. It provides great support to the mattress and is quite steady. The mattress and duvet have a vintage silhouette with rustic button tufted details and rounded lines and edges with soft velvet upholstery. The futon is compact and available in a variety of beautiful colors.
The high density memory foam mattress is responsive and cradles the body to relieve stress and pressure points. Say goodbye to aching muscles and sore knots in your body with this ultra-comfortable futon. The backrest is also great and there are supporting arms that are cushioned to support your neck while sleeping. The split back design of the backrest allows you to recline in a variety of positons while lounging and sleeping.
- Sturdy and durable construction.
- Highly comfortable memory foam mattress.
- Aesthetically pleasing design.
- Some users weren’t happy with the color of the futon.
The Mainstays memory foam futon is truly versatile and unique. Whether you need to fit it in your dorm, or a classy piece of furniture for small spaces in the apartment, this futon is there for your comfort and ease. It is also great to pull out for guests and save up money and space in the house. The durable metal legs of the futon can bear heavy weights, and the wooden frame is just as stable and stylish to support the fancy leather cushions. It has an impressive split seat and back design, along with convenient fold up arms to convert the futon from a sofa seater to flat bed in a matter of seconds! Enjoy the supportive memory foam futon for snooze-worthy comfort and ultimate relaxation.
Features and Design
The memory foam futon has 100% polyurethane foam and upholstered with 100% polyester. It requires an assembly and comes with high quality and durable wood frame along with strong metal legs that can support up to 600lbs of weight in one go.
The best thing about this futon is its functionality, as it works as both a lounger and a couch at the same time. This is due to the split back design, along with convertible arm rests that can make the futon function as a proper bed at night.
Comfort is the priority of mainstay memory foam futon, and is designed to give you the ultimate relaxation whether you want to curl up and enjoy a good book or crash for some sleep after a tiring day. Because of the movable back and arms, you can adjust the memory foam futon in the most comfortable position for your liking and maximum back support.
It also releases tension in the muscles and conforms to the size and curvature of the back. There are multiple positons to rest your arms when you lie down to sleep. It is extremely well built for the given price.
- Ultra-comfortable memory foam futon.
- Adjustable back and arms.
- Versatile sofa, bed and lounger.
- Easy to maintain and clean.
- The instructions for the assembly can be hard to follow.
The comfortable and sturdy memory foam futon by DHP is versatile, compact and low maintenance. It easily fits into small spaces and provides the cozy relaxing sanctuary you deserve. It has a classy faux leather cover which is easy to clean and looks quite fancy. The sleek color and design blends in well with the existing layout and décor of the house. This can also be used as a guest bed or in a dorm or child’s room for an extra bed when the guests arrive.
Features and Design
The futon has a modern looking and sleek faux leather cover that’s very easy to clean with a dry and soft cloth. It can also be polished up to make it look as good as new with minimal efforts. The futon overall has a very simple and elegant design, with thin yet sturdy metal legs that are set at an angle which makes them durable and stable.
They can bear up to 600lbs of weight in a single go and the futon can be used as both sofa and a bed. The futon isn’t very large and doesn’t take up much space, but it can be used comfortably by an adult.
The memory foam mattress of the futon is very comfortable and releases the pressure points in the body to release stress. It’s a little firm to be enjoyed as a bed for long hours of sleep, and the fact that it doesn’t have arms also leaves something to be desired when using the futon as a bed. If you like sleeping on firm mattresses due to back issues, this futon is the ideal fit for you.
Additionally, you can add a topper or thinner mattress to make it more comfortable for sleeping. The all in one piece doesn’t require any adjustments or assembly. It has a simple and low profile with easy maintenance and high durability.
- Stylish and sleek design.
- Easy to clean and maintain faux leather cover.
- Weight bearing capacity of 600lbs.
- Solid construction with high quality and durability.
- No arms.
- Firm mattress.
This is another great model by Mainstay that’s super comfortable and very stylish and versatile. It is highly functional and can be used as a sofa, lounger and a comfortable bed to curl up at night. The space saving design is ingenious and can be easily fit in small spaces in the apartment, or even a dorm. It is an ideal piece of furniture to turn into a bed when guests arrive, while saving up on space at the same time. The durable and high quality construction will make the memory foam futon last for years with minimal maintenance.
Features and Design
The construction of this memory foam futon involves the use of 100% polyurethane foam inside, and is upholstered with 100% polyurethane. The futon requires an easy assembly and comes with an instruction manual that needs to be followed through to properly assemble it. The framework has wood construction and the legs are made from high quality and strong metal that can hold up a weight of up to 600lbs in a single go.
This is a highly functional and useful, space-saving futon. You can use it as a chic and classy lounger or a comfortable couch while enjoying your favorite shows or books. Thanks to its split back design and adjustable arms, it can also be turned into a bed.
Mainstay memory foam futon doesn’t compromise on comfort one bit. It is designed for ultra-comfort and relaxation at all times. The movable back and arms can be adjusted at several angles and positons to best comfort and support your back as required.
The memory foam releases pressure and stress from the body and is great for sleeping. The foldable winged armrest also saves up a lot of space and can even be used like a cushion or pillow. It is easily converted from sofa to bed in a matter of seconds.
- High quality memory foam futon with excellent support and comfort.
- Versatile and multifunctional as a lounger, sofa and bed.
- Foldable winged armrest.
- Space saving design.
- Can’t be placed upright against a wall.
This memory foam futon by DHP is compact, space saving and perfect for small apartments and for dorms. The futon has a unique and minimalist design with extremely comfortable memory foam mattress and high quality construction. It can be used as a sofa or bed depending on your need. The affordable futon along with its sturdy and trendy design is your ideal space solving solution and can be pulled out for guests or as an extra bed in your room. DHP is quite a reliable brand for home furniture and ready to assemble futons.
Features and Design
The futon has an upholstered construction and has the style of a lounger with a very comfortable memory foam mattress in the seat. The construction is of solid and durable wooden frame. There is high quality microfiber used in the construction along with tufted detailing. The legs are made from sturdy and strong black plastic that are stable and keep the futon well balanced.
The polyester filling withstands heavy weight and is also resistant to wear and tear with repeated use. The pocket coils also retain the original shape of the mattress for years to come and provides a firm and steady support to the back.
The futon can be set at three different positions of sleeping, longing and sitting. The memory foam seating is supper comfortable and can be used for movie nights, and be reclined in a bed position with a simple push and pull. The armless design saves up space but can take away from the comfort element to some extent if you like to rest your arms or use it as a head rest while lying down.
You can use a mattress topper or cushions to make the futon more comfortable when using it to sleep. The comfortable and durable futon requires minimal maintenance over time and is quite easy to clean. It retains its original form and looks good as new for years to come. It’s a good value for your money.
- Comfortable memory foam seating.
- Sturdy and high quality construction.
- Versatile and can adjusted between lounging, sleeping and sitting positions.
- Easy to recline and space saving design.
- No arms.
Mainstay is a very reliable brand when it comes to home furnishing and truly state of the art statement pieces. Their memory foam futon combines comfort and support with durability and high quality. The futon is easily convertible from sofa to sleeper within a matter of seconds. You can use it as a classy piece of lounger in your living room, or use it as an extra bed in the room for guests. The foldable winged armrest is another great addition to the futon to add to its comfort and ease of accessibility. Enjoy this beautiful and chic futon that’s space saving and cost effective.
Features and Design
The memory foam futon has a split back design that can be converted from a lounger to bed in a matter of seconds. The wood frame supporting the memory foam mattress seater is very sturdy and high in quality to provide you good durability for years to come. Along with this wood frame, there is metal construction too.
The metal legs of the memory foam futon are very sturdy and keep the seat stable and well balanced. It can bear loads of up to 600lbs at one time, which means that more than one person can sleep on the futon.
The memory foam seater is super comfortable and retains its original form at all times. It support the body weight and curvature easily and releases stress from the pressure points. The winged arms are convertible and can be folded away to save space. You can adjust the back and arms according to your comfort and convenient. The arm rest can also be used to support the neck when lying down.
The duvet has a classy black suede material and this product comes with a free clean fabric cloth as well. It is quite easy to clean and requires low maintenance while retaining its lustrous and classy look for years to come. It makes for a very chic piece of furniture with a luxurious design and a color that blends in well with the existing layout and décor of the room.
- Very comfortable and supportive memory foam seat.
- Versatile and can easily be converted from sleeper to sofa in seconds.
- Sturdy and high quality construction.
- Classy look and color.
- Difficult to understand instructions to assemble the futon.
This beautiful and comfortable futon has a sleek design and comes in a variety of colors to choose from and match with your décor. The mattress is super comfortable with memory foam technology that ensures your relaxation and comfort, and also makes for an excellent bed for guests. The lace tufted onto the mattress seat gives the futon a classy sofa like appearance that can be used as a state of the art piece in your room. The ingenious design allows you to fold it like a sofa or bed for your convenience in a matter of seconds.
Features and Design
The mosaic twill gel dual memory foam futon comes with a mattress thickness of 8 inches and it is equipped with high quality cotton twill that’s highly durable for years to come. The mattress is reversible can the futon can be folded in upright sofa position or laid flat to make it a platform bed.
Although it’s a full sized futon, the design and style of it is still space saving and can fit well in small spaces in the apartment or dorm. It can be fitted inside the room as an extra bed, or as a guest bed when the need arises.
The reversible gel memory foam mattress is dual sided and it’s made from durable and of high quality gel memory foam that provides excellent support to the back. It also releases stress from pressure points and tense muscles. The memory foam is made from durable polyurethane gel foam that doesn’t sag with repeated use and retains its original foam for years to come.
The futon mattress also comprises of visco memory foam and it is wrapped in a soft and comfortable cotton mix blend for ultimate comfort. The memory foam mattress comes incased within a poly cotton fabric cover, which is a highly durable material that gives a clean look even with minimum maintenance and has a classic luxurious tufted appearance.
- Highly comfortable memory foam mattress with high quality materials.
- Reversible memory gel foam.
- Good seater height with 8 inches of thickness.
- Low maintenance and easy to clean.
- Durable and sturdy construction.
- There is no arm rest.
DHP delivers the highest quality of home furniture pieces and has a legacy of over 25 years with a wide selection of popular futons. The DHP Katherine linen futon is one of the classic piece in their collection, with chic and sturdy chrome legs and super comfortable memory foam seat. It is one of their best sellers and is quite affordable and easy to adjust in small spaces. The memory foam futon has a very simple and sophisticated look with high functionality. The compact and versatile futon can be used as a lounger, sofa or as a bed. The superior relaxation is guaranteed along with high support and maximum stability.
Features and Design
The futon has a very strong and sturdy wood frame work with classic chrome legs that not only look good, but also offer stability and balance. It can bear heavy weights and the slanted configuration of the legs enable it to not bend or damage under pressure. It is quite versatile when it comes to functionality, and the design is enhanced with a modern flair of a linen duvet. The back of the futon can be reclined to offer maximum back rest or enjoy sitting in a lounging positon. It can be reclined even more to convert the futon into a platform bed for a restful night of sleep.
For the upholstery, you can choose between linen or faux feather in DHP memory foam futons, but linen gives a more luxurious and classy look.
The memory foam seater is specially designed to provide maximum comfort and support to the back and body. It conforms to the natural curvature of the back and relieves pressure points. The sturdy and solid wooden core of the futon along with its slanted chrome legs are also designed to offer maximum stability and support while using the futon. You can use it to sleep comfortably or enjoy a fun movie night, or just to crash on after a long tiring day.
- High quality duvet with memory foam mattress seater.
- Strong and sturdy wooden frame with angled chrome legs for support.
- Versatile and multifunctional.
- Easy assembly and aesthetically pleasing design.
- Requires deep cleaning.
- No arm rest.