Certifications of Safer Gel Memory Foam Mattresses
To reduce the risk of your exposure to harmful chemicals as you enjoy the benefits of a gel memory foam mattress, look for high-quality mattress brands that come with these labels and/or certifications:
GOTS (Global Organic Textile Standard)
A GOTS certification guarantees that the mattress has at least 95% certified organic materials, with the remaining 5% of materials allowed also coming with stringent restrictions to ensure the overall safety of the mattress. Chemical flame retardants are some of the substances that are restricted from being included in the 5% non-organic materials in a GOT-certified mattress, which significantly limits your exposure to potentially harmful chemicals.
The CertiPUR-US certification applies to the polyurethane foam composition of the mattress. This certification states that the foam portion of the mattress does not contain substances that may cause health problems, including formaldehyde, ozone depleters, chemical flame retardants, and heavy metals such as mercury and lead.
Gel memory foam mattresses that come with the Greenguard certification have passed third-party chemical emission standards to ensure that the levels of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) are low enough to not cause health and safety issues while improving and/or preserving the good quality of the indoor air. This addresses the issue of off-gassing, which occurs when the VOCs are broken down and start to spread through the air in the surrounding area. The more stringent Greenguard Gold certification has an even lower emission level limit, with products having this certification deemed as non-toxic and acceptable for use in health care facilities and schools.
USDA Certified Organic
This certification from the US Department of Agriculture guarantees that certain elements of the gel memory foam mattress are organic and do not contain chemicals or synthetic substances. This reduces your risk of being exposed to hazardous chemicals that may be found in non-organic mattress options.