Top 10 Best Bed Frames Under 200 in 2020 – Ultimate Guide
Nothing compares to a good night’s sleep for it not just makes you feel good and ready to start your day, it is also essential to your health. A well-constructed best bed frames under helps you get sound sleep at night. If your bedroom has a very relaxing atmosphere, it can be your oasis that provides your much needed retreat. Beds come in a wide range of styles and sizes. It helps a lot to examine the complete spectrum of bed frame options, breaking down the selection by design, material, size and features. In this comprehensive guide, we will show you important aspects of choosing the right bed frame as well as the top ten products worth considering for your best Memory Foam Mattresses.
Types of Bed Frame by Design
The design of the bed defines the actual structure and form of the frame.
- Standard: a standard bed frame typically has a simple metal frame where the box spring and mattress will sit. Some are constructed to be adjustable in size and made with heavy duty material to last a long time.
- Platform: the oldest style of bed that features a base that is built with lifted, level horizontal frame that usually consists of a section of rows of flexible latticed structure or wood slats to support the mattress. It provides a strong support and good ventilation, so a second or box spring mattress would not be necessary.
- Folding: this type features a hinged frame that allows the bed to be folded and kept in a smaller space. This is often used in smaller spaces or guest rooms where the bed is not used regularly.
- Panel: a panel bed is designed with a headboard and footboard built from flat wood panels. These panels are framed with elevated grooves or molding, like traditional wainscoting or panelling. Wooden rails connect the footboard and the headboard.
- Sleigh: this type is characterized by scrolled or curved footboard and headboard, resembling a sleigh. This is usually made of heavy wood. It came from the period of the French and American empire. Today, it is constructed using various materials including steel.
- Murphy: also called fold-down, pull down or wall bed, this style bed is designed to save space in a stylish way. The frame could be hinged so the bed can be tilted up and stored in a cabinet or against a wall.
- Trundle: this is another space saving design since a second bed on caster is stored beneath the main bed. You can use it when necessary or keep it stored without taking up space.
- Daybed: Daybeds are designed for multiple uses. It can serve as a sofa during the day and a bed at night.
- Poster: commonly known as four-poster bed, this type is constructed with four vertical columns in every corner that sometimes support an upper panel. Often, the posts are decorative and the bed has a headboard but no footboard.
- Canopy: this is very similar to four-poster beds but crossbeams on top connect the posts. It is ideal for rooms with tall ceilings.
- Low-poster bed: low-poster beds are similar to a four-poster bed, but the posts are shorter and do not exceed the height of the headboard or footboard.
Styles of Bed Frame
Bed frames also vary in style, which defines the overall theme or look of the bed. It will influence the bed’s tone, texture and feel.
- Contemporary: contemporary styles are the present style of beds. It uses modern shapes or materials that were not seen in the past.
- Traditional: when there’s contemporary, there’s traditional style of bed. These are timeworn classics that echo the past. Examples are four-poster or canopy beds.
- Modern: modern style of beds feature new ideas that blend with modern rooms. They can be a cross between contemporary styles.
- Mission: mission styles emphasize vertical or horizontal lines, flat panels in a grain of wood.
- Cottage: Cottage beds usually have large, lavish headboards that show some carving and painted finish.
- Country: country style is defined by traditional shapes and rich textures.
- Rustic: this style is defined as old-fashioned and homespun.
- Vintage: the throwback style of bed that purposely aims to create a specific fashionable look at a particular period.
- Scandinavian: Scandinavian beds are simple, minimalist and functional. They may come in various shapes but lack fancy additions.
- Midcentury: Midcentury style of beds bring back the ‘50s and ‘60s style of frame, often with tapered wooden legs and streamlined headboards.
Materials Used in Bed Frames
- Metal: metal frames are more modern options. They are lighter and more versatile but are lacking in warmth that wood frames offer. Metal frames range from standard to more ornate frames. Old models use copper and bronze, but newer ones use stainless steel and wrought iron.
- Wood: wood is the most common material used in beds and other furniture. It has been used for centuries and comes in various types as well including softwood and hardwood. Mahogany, oak, maple, beech and pine are the most common woods used in bed frames.
- Rattan or wicker: This material can be made of plant or plastic and woven into a hard surface. It is firm and lightweight.
- Veneers and laminates: modern frames use laminates and veneers. These are layers made of wood or other material and applied over a wood frame then sealed. They are used to mimic more expensive options and preferred for their versatility and durability.
Bed Frame Features to Consider
- Upholstered headboard: upholstered headboard does not just offer comfort. It also adds beauty and luxury to a bedroom.
- Distressed finish: some frames are finished to look imperfect or older using paint stripper or sandpaper.
- Storage: Modern beds have concealed storage beneath the mattress for storage.
- Lighted headboard: Some headboards are fitted with light source for easy reading.
Choosing the Right Bed Frame
As you may know by now, bed frames come in a wide range of styles, but this should not lead to confusion. Instead, think of it as beneficial because they can cater to every need and preference. The key is to determine what you need and end up buying the best one for your bedroom. Here are some factors to consider for that perfect bed frame:
- Determine the right size. Consider the layout of the room when choosing the mattress size. The mattress will narrow down your choice for the most suitable bed frame. Measure the available space before shopping for your new bed.
- Consider functionality. Do you want your bed to be a storage space as well? You can consider beds with drawers to store some of your belongings. You can choose beds with lower height for your children or multi-functional day beds to save space.
- Embrace your style. Your bed frame will affect your room’s overall look, so if you have the budget, go for the best-looking one that suits your taste.
If your budget permits only bed frames under $200, here are our recommended ten products. There are many bed frames in the market, but after careful research we have analyzed, reviewed and ranked the top 10 best bed frames for you.
TOP 10 BEST BED FRAMES UNDER 200 IN 2020 – CHART
|1. Zinus Deluxe Faux Leather Platform Bed with Wooden Slats||Luxurious padded faux leather||$$||4.7|
|2. DHP Faux Leather Tufted Upholstered Platform Bed||Tufted faux leather upholstered platform bed||$$||4.5|
|3. Zinus Faux Leather Upholstered Platform Bed with Wooden Slats||Frame is padded and upholstered in black faux leather||$$||4.4|
|4. Zinus Modern Studio 14-Inch Platform Metal Bed Frame||Strong mattress support with 10 wood slats||$$||4.4|
|5. DHP Tokyo Bronze Metal Bed||Metal slats offers support and durability||$$||4.3|
|6. Olee Sleep 14 Inch T-3000 Heavy Duty Bed Frame||Steel slats support||$$||4.3|
|7. San Francisco Queen Bed Frame by Pinnacle Home Furnishings||Padded frame and headboard||$$||4.2|
|8. Best Price Mattress Model H Steel Platform Bed||Sturdy 100% steel construction||$$||4.2|
|9. Stella Metal Platform Bed Frame||Featuring wide and thick slats||$$||4.1|
|10. Zinus Modern Studio 10-inch Platform 2000 Metal Bed Frame||Strong mattress support with 10 wood slats||$$||4.1|
Relax on a stylish, modern and durable platform bed with the Zinus Deluxe faux leather upholstered platform bed. It has so much to offer, from strong support to beautiful finish. Built with high quality leather and wood, the number one platform bed comes with a solid frame and headboard. It is available in 4 sizes including twin, full, king and queen. You’ll love this bed not just for its price, but also for its sturdy, tall height. And a matching best hybrid mattresses would look and feel good in this.
Zinus platform bed has ten wooden slats, a headboard and stable frame. The footboard is in low-profile style, exposing the feet for added support. The faux leather finish offers sophistication and good mattress support. It boasts 5-year warranty, a great deal for its price range. The maximum capacity is 1200 pounds, making it stable for long-term use. The corners and legs are super strong, enduring any pressure; while the finishing resists bedbugs and dust mites, exactly how you want a bed to be. You can expect it to be very comfortable as well, for it offers great mattress support. You can sleep well on it for hours.
You will have no problem assembling the Zinus platform bed frame for it is smartly shipped. It will come to you preinstalled with metal brackets. The instructions are clear so you’ll easily understand it. It will take less than an hour for you to set it and get it ready for use. The height of this bed makes it comparable to beds you see in hotels. The closed encasing is also impressive, especially if you’re using a full-sized mattress.
If you want a reasonably priced platform bed frame, Zinus Deluxe is our top recommendation. It is well-designed, providing enough support for your body. Since it comes with pre-assembled parts, there’s no need to call a professional for help. For less than $200, this bed will transform your room into a luxurious one. It is definitely not just aesthetically appealing, for it offers amazing support no matter what type of mattress you choose.
- Sturdy metal crossbars with extra legs for support
- Holds mattresses evenly and comfortably
- Enough space underneath (1 foot) to store things
- Soft, nice looking faux leather
- Clear instructions
- The package should have come in more than 1 box for it is too heavy to lift.
This platform bed from Dorel Home Products certainly deserves the second top spot for the best bed frames under $200. It looks too luxurious for the price, and with features you’ll surely adore. Upholstered beds are very attractive. They seem to be very comfortable to use and adds that cozy feeling in a bedroom. With this product, it’s not just the price, looks and comfort that are impressive.
This bed’s headboard is designed with diamond button tufted detailing, showing a chic contemporary look. It infuses comfort and style, courtesy of the padded faux leather upholstery. It is made with 24 sturdy wooden slats that boast great support. It does not need box springs and comes in twin, full and queen size. The frame is mainly made of wood. It is constructed with metal side rails that guarantee durability and stability. It also has center metal rail and legs for additional support. Since the finish is faux leather, it is easy to clean and maintain. Just wipe it with a damp cloth to remove dust. However, the weigh capacity is only 450 pounds unlike our top product that holds up to 1000 pounds.
DHP platform bed certainly offers the coziness and sophistication you want for your bed. If you want a good night’s sleep and relieve your body of aches and pressure, you can go for a high quality memory foam mattress to match this bed. If you are looking for an affordable, luxurious and sturdy bed frame, this one from DHP is worth considering. It is made from good quality materials, so you can expect your bed to last a long time.
With DHP platform bed, having a lavish bed is within reach. You can choose from its 3 colors, namely brown, black and white. This means no matter what style of your room, there’s a color to suit it. Since it is available in three sizes, it fits into any room size. Get it for less than $200, absolutely a good value for your money.
- Elegant, easy to clean faux leather finish
- 24 Sturdy wooden slats
- Built with metal side rails
- Easy to assemble
- Works with memory foam and coil mattresses
- Weight capacity is only 450 pounds
This is the more affordable version of Zinus Deluxe. You heard it right! There is a cheaper version of an already reasonable bed from the Zinus line. It only comes in three sizes unlike its counterpart. You can choose from full, queen and king sizes, whichever suits your need. At a price that’s right for your budget, this platform bed frame is certainly the best bang for your buck.
Like Zinus Deluxe, this bed frame is black in color and features an upholstered headboard. The padded faux leather finish boasts modern style that suits every style of bedroom. The material makes it easy to clean and maintain. Since it is padded, it doesn’t just look cozy, it is actually very comfortable. The entire frame is padded and faux leather upholstered, so you wouldn’t think it costs less than $200. The footboard is low profile, making it sleek and simple.
The slats are made of wood, but you won’t have to worry about it being sturdy. The product comes with a 5-year warranty, so you can be sure it’s of good quality and long-lasting. The legs and frame are also built to be stable; it offers great support for any type of mattress. The enclosed casing ensures the mattress securely stays in place.
If you’re on a budget and you are looking for a sophisticated bed frame to go with your bedroom style, Zinus platform bed is for you. You won’t be sorry for its performance, for it is built to last.
- Padded upholstered faux leather finish for style and comfort
- Affordable price
- Easy to assemble
- Comes only in three sizes
If you are on a budget and you still want a very sturdy bed frame, Zinus has a very nice option for you. This modern platform metal bed frame is affordable; but it is only low in price, not in quality. It does not look as luxurious as the bed frames listed above because of their upholstered headboard, but you will not be disappointed with its unique, modern style. Match it with lovely bedding and it will surely look very presentable in your room or apartment.
The best part is, the frame is made of metal, which makes you certain it is stable and long-lasting. The design is very simple, making it sleek and contemporary. Like the other Zinus bed frames featured above, it is built with good quality wooden slats that offer excellent mattress support. In this frame, there is no need for a box spring. Whether you fancy memory foam, spring or latex mattress, this frame provides unmatched support. Underneath, there is a 12-inch clearance, which means you can store plenty things under your bed.
When it comes to buying furniture for our home, it’s best to invest on something that’s meant to last. With this product, you can be sure of its durability. In fact, it was awarded a “Good Design” distinction in 2016 by The Chicago Athenaeum. It is available in four sizes, namely twin, full, queen and king. You won’t have to worry about assembly, for you can easily set it up in minutes since it is smartly packaged. Zinus metal bed frame has earned many good reviews from actual users, a good proof that it is really a quality product. Thus, you would want to have this bed not just for its award but for its actual performance. For its price, it truly is a great deal, a hot pick for smart shoppers.
- Unique, modern style
- Sturdy metal frame
- Low price
- 5-year warranty
- Innovative design
- Easy to assemble
- Comes only in four sizes
Another bed from DHP makes it on our list of the best bed frames under $200. This bed looks very elegant and pricey, but it’s only a little over a hundred bucks. That’s such an amazing deal. The Tokyo metal bed is absolutely an exquisite addition to your bedroom. It is made of brushed bronze metal frame that you’ll love not just for the looks but also for the sturdiness. The intricate lines offer a classic look, but you’ll be impressed at how the corners are topped with spindles, for the latter provide a warm and grand feel. And surely the Casper mattresses would suit this bed frame.
DHP Tokyo metal bed frame features a modern yet classic design. Unlike the other items featured above, this one is built with metal slats, ensuring stability and durability. It’s not surprising that it holds up to 450 pounds of weight. It comes in two sizes, full and queen. This is an ideal bed for master’s bedroom or for couples sharing a bed. The high profile headboard nicely matches the low profile headboard.
If you want a classic looking bed that never goes out of style, the DHP Tokyo bed frame is right for you. For its price and features, it gives you an awesome deal and a wise investment. Knowing that it is manufactured by a reputable company such as Dorel Home Products, you can be certain of its quality. New homeowners who are starting to build a family will find this bed excellent for the master’s bedroom. Pair it with a comfortable mattress and lavish bedding and you would want to stay in your room longer.
You can be sure this bed will last long because it is made of metal slats. Wooden slats are more likely to break, but not metals. Thus, the bed frame offers excellent support not just for your body weight but also for your chosen mattress. Brushed bronze is also a wonderful finish to this well-constructed bed.
- Metal frame and slats for support and durability
- Classic design
- Box spring not required
- 450-pound weight capacity
- Package comes with a tool kit and illustrated instructions for easy assembly
- Comes only in two sizes
The Olee Sleep heavy duty bed frame is an awesome product for its sturdiness, durability, luxurious style and reasonable price. For less than $200, it gives you a great deal as it covers everything you need. You don’t need a box spring to use it, just the mattress of your choice. The steel slats assure you of a good support, giving you freedom to use a heavier mattress without worrying about breaking. It is made of solid steel frame for long-term use.
Many customers are particular of slats when buying a bed frame for they want to be sure that it will not break. With this product, you can sleep peacefully at night knowing that the steel frame and slats can endure heavy weight. Not only that; the construction provides exceptional support for the mattress. The mattress will be firmly embedded in it so there would be no wobbling or sliding.
You will be impressed by Olee Sleep T3000 for it comes with an upholstered faux leather headboard. This makes the bed luxurious and comfortable. The unique design of the headboard makes it perfect for a modern room. The good features don’t end with that. It boasts 12 inches clearance underneath, which means there’s ample storage under the bed, making it ideal for smaller spaces. It comes with central leg support, which some mattresses require for the warranty to work.
When it comes to assembling, you won’t have a problem setting it up. It is self-foldable and comes with all the parts needed. What’s even impressive is that it won’t scratch hardwood floors for the bottom of the legs come with plastic caps. It is available in two sizes, full and queen so it is ideal for couples. If you’ve been searching for the right bed frame, this one is highly recommendable. The price is too good to be true, but you will surely not be disappointed by its looks and performance.
- All metal frame and slats for ultimate strength
- Upholstered faux leather finish for comfort and luxury
- Easy to assemble
- Comes with 5-year warranty
- Very reasonable price
- Can support heavier users
- Comes only in two sizes
This is the only bed frame from Pinnacle Home Furnishings to make it in our list, but it will certainly not disappoint. For $200, you’ll own a great looking bed that is sturdy enough to last a long time. If that does not yet sound good enough for you, wait till you learn about what it offers. It is a queen sized bed that is ideal for co-sleepers and singles who want a wide bed to sleep on. It is platform in style, finished with gray linen that will suit every modern room.
San Francisco bed frame features high profile headboard and low profile footboard that are both upholstered. This makes it lavish looking yet comfortable to use. Unlike the other products we reviewed, it is finished with gray cloth for that warm appeal. Even if the slats are made of wood, you won’t have to worry about its sturdiness and the need for a box spring. You will love that the frame is padded for it is soft to touch and looks cozy, making your bedroom very conducive for your much needed rest. Since it is simply designed, assembly is also easy that you can set it up in minutes without the aid of a professional. The package comes in one box for easy handling as well.
The moment you see San Francisco bed, you will be impressed by its sleek design for you won’t find it difficult to pair with a mattress, your preferred bedding or room design. Some customers consider the overall look of the frame so that it suits their room and the beddings they want to use. Since the frame is colored gray, which is a neutral color, matching it with your room is not going to be a problem. In this product, you won’t even have to worry about your weight for it can hold adults of various weights. With its appearance and performance, it is not surprising why it is a well-reviewed product.
- Upholstered headboard for luxury and comfort
- Sturdy frame and slats
- Easy to assemble
- Available in queen size only
- Cloth may become dirty after long use
If steel frame is what you are looking for, then this bed frame could be exactly what you want. For less than $200, you can have an all-in-one product so that you won’t have to look for a separate headboard. Using 100% steel for the slats, you can be sure that you are getting a long-lasting bed that’s worth the investment. What’s great is that you can choose from six different sizes, twin, twin XL, full, queen, king and California king.
With this Best Price bed frame, you will save more and sleep better. You can be sure of its strength and durability for it is made of high quality steel. The slat space is close enough for great support. No need for a box spring, just pick the mattress of your choice and you are ready to use this bed. What’s even impressive is that it is highly portable.
Setting up is quick, which means it is excellent for guest rooms, temporary or dorm use. You just have to unfold, tighten and complete the parts and it’s good to use. There are only ten parts to assemble so it won’t take you an hour to set it up. If you have a small room, there’s enough storage space to keep your clutter. The variety of sizes to choose from makes it ideal for singles, couples or families sharing a bed.
Best Price mattress may not be made of an upholstered headboard, but its strength makes up for its simple design. If you prefer your bed to be extremely durable than good looking, then this product is an excellent choice. It comes in black, so it suits any bedding or room style. No matter what type of mattress you fancy, it will surely offer ample support.
- Made of 100% steel for ultimate strength
- Comes in various sizes
- Easy to assemble
- Reasonable price
- Comes with 5-year warranty
- For heavy duty use
- headboard design is not very elaborate
The last one to make it on our best list is this bed frame from InStyle Furnishings called Stella. Like the previous one we reviewed, it does not come with a headboard, but it sure offers a strong support as a high quality metal bed frame. For a little over $100, it offers a good deal. Choose from the available sizes, king, queen, full and twin. And you may choose from the best mattresses under 1000 that would go with your preferred size.
Stella metal bed frame is made of steel, which boasts strength. The slats are made of good quality wood that protects your mattress and supports your body. You don’t have t worry about the slats breaking for they are wide and thick. No matter what type or weight of mattress you want, the bed frame is built to provide maximum support. The modern finish offers stylish appeal to your room, and makes it easy to blend with your chosen bed covers. It doesn’t just look good. It also resists rust, stain and dust and does not easily scratch. You don’t need box springs to use it.
When it comes to assembling, you won’t have a hard time putting it together. It comes with an easy to understand manual and all the parts needed. With a clearance of 5.5 inches, you can store some items underneath and keep your room clutter-free. Even if it does not come with a headboard, you can buy a separate one that suits your need. The benefit is that you can have a say on the headboard that you want and have a solid frame for support. The bed can hold various weights, so even if you are on the heavy side, that should not be a problem. It has the most important sizes so your height is also not a big deal.
For a little over a hundred dollars, you can own a very sturdy metal bed frame from Zinus. It comes in queen, king, full and twin sizes, and 5-year warranty. This is different from the third Zinus we have reviewed, for this one has no headboard and is lower in height. This is a mattress foundation that is sure to properly support your mattress and body. It has wooden slats, which is somewhat identifiable to Zinus line, but the good reviews prove that it is durable. Regardless if you want to use a latex, spring or memory foam mattress, you will find this bed frame satisfactory.
The frame is 10 inches in height, which is a bit lower than the other frames we reviewed. Even if you can’t store as much things underneath, this is still advantageous if you have kids or pets that are likely to use this bed. It comes with 10 wooden slats that are closer in space, so there would be no sagging and you can be sure that the mattress is protected. Like the rest of the bed frames on the list, there is no need for a box spring to use this. Your floors will not be scratched for feet have plastic.
The reason why this item comes only in the ninth place is because it doesn’t come with any headboard. However, if you can buy a separate headboard that is compatible with it, for the frame is constructed in such a way that a headboard can be attached, as provided by the openings found in the legs. It is black in color, so it is easy to match with your room style or your preferred bedding. Whether you are sleeping alone or with someone, there would be no problem for you can simply select the size of your choice. Since Zinus is a reputable company that manufactures home furnishings, you can be sure of the product’s quality, especially because it comes with a 5-year warranty.
- Metal frame for strong support
- Close slat space for mattress protection
- Easy to assemble
- Headboard can be attached
- 5-year warranty
- Various sizes available
- Doesn’t come with a headboard
Choosing the best bed frame under $200 should not be confusing even if there are so many options to choose from. The key is to determine what you need and the features that are important to you. It is best to know the product’s durability since you would want to use the bed for a long time. It should provide the support you need for the mattress and your body. Finally, it helps a lot to read reviews to learn more about the product. In this guide, we have made things easier for you so that you can make an informed decision.