Shopping for your new born baby is probably the most exciting part about having a child. The intoxicating smell of new sheets and towels, the adorable little mittens and socks, and those tiny clothes with cute things written like “Daddy’s little angel” that warrant overwhelming emotions! Not to mention the dazzling toys, and somewhat complicated baby accessories with intricate instruction manuals and of course, the sweet smelling baby cosmetics! While all these things may seem trivial to a regular person, but to expecting parents, especially those jumpy mommies-to-be, these things hold a lot of meaning and attachment. To all new parents out there; your feelings are not incomprehensible but in fact they are beautiful and very dear. In a few months’ time, you shall have a gorgeously adorable bundle of joy that you will cherish and protect with all you have. To help you with your never ending shopping list, here’s a guide to help you pick out the best Crib Mattress for your young one. We have already written a complete guide about best Toddler Beds.
- Why do you need a good mattress for your newborn?
- Key considerations when choosing crib mattresses
- Kinds of Crib Mattresses to choose from
- Top 10 Best Crib Mattresses in 2018 – Chart
- 1. Newton Crib Mattress & Toddler Mattress
- 2. Moonlight Slumber Little Dreamer Dual Firmness All Foam Crib Mattress
- 3. Safety 1st Heavenly Dreams White Crib Mattress
- 4. Sealy Soybean Foam-Core Crib Mattress
- 5. My First Mattress Premium Memory Foam Infant Crib Mattress
- 6. Milliard Hypoallergenic Baby Crib Mattress or Toddler Bed Mattress
- 7. Sealy Baby Firm Rest Crib Mattress EM438-VIV1
- 8. Dream on Me 88 Coil Spring Crib and Toddler Bed Mattress
- 9. Serta Perfect Start Crib and Toddler Mattress
- 10. American Baby Company Waterproof Quilted Crib Size Fitted Mattress Cover made with Organic Cotton
Why do you need a good mattress for your newborn?
New born babies tend to spend approximately 18 hours a day sleeping which means the mattress you get should provide the right support to your kid’s spine and overall posture. Also, getting a fairly firm mattress will keep your baby’s head from conforming into the mattress which could otherwise be potentially dangerous for your baby.
It is important that the mattress fits the crib properly. Additionally, if you can afford it, it would be a great idea to opt for an organic mattress. Although these are a bit more expensive, they are made of 100% natural materials that will protect your kid from inhaling any toxic fumes that are usually found in other mattresses.
Key considerations when choosing crib mattresses
Here are some of the things that you need to consider before you choose a crib mattress for your little one.
- The size of the Crib should match the size of the Mattress
It is important to understand that the mattress you choose for your kid should firmly set inside the crib. According to the US Consumer products Safety Commission (CPSC), the interior of the crib should be about 28 inches wide and 52 inches in length. Consequently, the size of the mattress should be at least 27 inches wide and 51 inches in length if it’s not the same size. The depth of the mattress should not be more than 6 inches and there should not be any gaps of more than 1.25 inches because it could lead to the mattress moving around or caving in at the edges which could be potentially dangerous for the baby.
- Firm Vs. how soft?
Always look for a mattress which is firm and flat. A mattress which is too cushiony would conform around the head of your baby and hinder his/her oxygen supply. The best way to check the firmness is by pressing into it. If it snaps right back up, then you are good to go.
- Safety standards
Safety regulations based on chemical exposure varies country wise. For example, the US CP
SC all crib mattress should meet the 1633 flammability standards and the 16 CFR 1632 ones. Such standards are specifically set in place to ensure the safety of your kid since he/she will be inhaling these chemicals. Moreover, there may be other certifications present according to the kind of mattress you choose. For example, if you are going for foam mattresses then look for the CertiPUR-US® one. But if you are opting for an organic one then look for GOT certification.
- Never compromise on quality
Basic difference between a good quality mattress and a bad one is that the cheap one will hav
e thin coverings and edgings which are more likely to wear and tear off faster over time. Also, worrying about warranties is never a good idea because they are usually just marketing strategies and chances are you are not going to be using a crib mattress for the rest of your kid’s life so warranties should never dictate your decision about any mat
tress you choose for your baby.
- What feels good to you is not good for the baby
Parents usually tend to check baby mattresses by how they feel to them. But what you find soft and comfy is not a good idea to get for your kid. Soft and cushiony means the mattress will easily conform around your baby’s head and could possible hinder your child’s oxygen supply.
Kinds of Crib Mattresses to choose from
There are three main kinds of mattresses to choose from for your baby or toddler:
- Made of polyurethane.
- Cheaper than innerspring and organic mattresses.
- Depth varies between 3 and 6 inches.
- Lighter than the other two making it easier to manage especially when it comes to cleaning.
- More expensive than foam ones.
- Coils provide great support and don’t conform.
- More coils (150+) and lower gauge levels (15.5 or lesser) give best results.
- Most expensive but the healthiest too.
- Eliminates harmful allergens.
- Doesn’t contain any harmful chemicals.
Top 10 Best Crib Mattresses in 2018 – Chart
|1. Newton Crib Mattress & Toddler Mattress||100% recyclable||$$$||4.8|
|2. Moonlight Slumber Little Dreamer Crib Mattress||Vinyl, polyethylene and PVC free||$$$||4.7|
|3. Safety 1st Heavenly Dreams White Crib Mattress||Free of phthalates and lead||$$$||4.6|
|4. Sealy Soybean Foam-Core Crib Mattress||Pearl embossed waterproof and stain-resistant cover for an easy-clean||$$$||4.5|
|5. My First Mattress Premium Crib Mattress||CertiPUR-US certified flexible polyurethane foam||$$$||4.5|
|6. Milliard Hypoallergenic Baby Crib Mattress||Backside encasement is made from anti-flame materials without any chemicals||$$$||4.4|
|7. Sealy Baby Firm Rest Crib Mattress EM438-VIV1||Hospital-grade waterproof cover wipes away liquids and stains||$$$||4.3|
|8. Dream on Me 88 Coil Spring Crib and Toddler Bed Mattress||Lightweight; 88 interwoven, heat tempered coils||$$$||4.2|
|9. Serta Perfect Start Crib Mattress||Firm polyester fiber core, light weight for easy changing||$$$||4.1|
|10. American Baby Company Crib Size Fitted Mattress||Top layer-100% Organic Cotton interlock||$$$||4.0|
The Newton Crib and Toddler Mattress is the perfect amalgamation of health, safety and comfort. This ingenious mattress for babies is made up of a rare and novel material called Wovenaire that itself is made up of 90% free air and 10% food-grade polymer. This material is completely organic as it is made up of 100% recyclable food grade polymer hence embodies a zero tolerance to toxic chemicals and allergens. It is a top favorite among new parents and is considered a “genius” solution for a lot of baby hazards! For the adult comfort sleep, you can also check out the best mattresses for backpain.
If you are an eco-friendly parent, then this is a great mattress to get for your baby or toddler because it is a 100% recyclable which means it is not made up of any glue or latex or springs which are impossible to recycle.
It is important to get a lightweight mattress because it makes it easy for late night changing especially when you’re half asleep and desperate to get the job done! However, being lightweight doesn’t mean that the mattress is not firm enough to support your baby’s weight.
The makers of the Newton mattress are actually in favor of messy babies. Let them enjoy without having to worry about mattress getting destroyed because the Newton mattress is 100% washable with soap and water. You can even throw it in the washing machine to get the job done well.
Water resistant cover
The cover has been specifically made to be water resistant and not water proof because this allows better breathability and reduces the chances of overheating and moisture forming which can become a potential haven for bacteria. Let your baby sleep free and comfy without any sweaty backs to worry about!
The air can easily flow through the mattress which makes it easy to dry and also reduces the chances of oxygen deprivation hence adding to its overall safety. Moreover, you don’t have to worry about your baby breathing in any harmful toxins or chemicals from the mattress as it is completely organic.
- Zero Off-gassing; the Newton Crib Mattress & Toddler Mattress meets Greenguard Gold standards which means healthier indoor air quality due to lowest chemical emissions.
- Hypoallergenic; all materials used in the making of the Newton Crib Mattress & Toddler Mattress are hypoallergenic. Also since the mattress is washable, there no chance of dust mites or allergens to breed.
- Easy to wash
- Cover is not water proof because water proofing means synthetic backing which would hamper breathability.
The Moonlight Slumber Little Dreamer may not be able to outshine the Newton Crib Mattress, but in its own special way, this mattress holds a very dear place in many customers’ hearts. Other than the fact that the Little Dreamer happens to be one of the safest mattresses for babies in the market today, it also comes with a special dual purpose feature. There’s a reason the manufacturers place a 10 year warranty on it because it is definitely going to be around for that long due to its dual sidedness. One firm foam sidefor babies whereas the other soft sided onefor toddlers.
PVC, polyethylene and vinyl free
Now you don’t have to worry about your baby inhaling toxic chemicals because the Little Dreamer is Centipur certified which means it’s not only a healthy toxic chemical free option but also a non-smelly one.
Mommies are always in a rush which means having a lightweight mattress is very helpful indeed. Being lightweight means, you will be easily able to change bedding and even clean/wash the mattress whenever needed although the exterior is pretty much water resistant so wiping it off with a wet rag will also do.
Dropped side-stitched seams
Rather than having visible seams go over and around the surface of the mattress, the Little Dreamer comes with seams that go around the side of the mattress. This makes it all easy to change diapers or clean any spills without having to worry about it getting trapped in the edges and growing into mold overtime.
- Dual surface firm foam mattress; the firm side holds up the baby’s posture rather than letting it sink into the mattress. Upon reaching toddlerhood, parents can flip the mattress and use it in a toddler bed as well.
- Hypoallergenic; there’s very less chance of any dust mites or mold forming.
- Square edges allow for easy and snug fit into the crib which means the mattress will not be loose and become potentially dangerous for the baby.
- Greenguard certified means healthy indoor air quality
- Some complains about the Little Dreamer caving in after a few years of rigorous usage but this is a normal thing with foam mattresses.
- The foam tends to heat up which some consider cozy while some don’t.
Among the foam mattresses, the Safety 1st Heavenly Dreams mattress is one of the best ones and checks off almost all the essential things every parent looks for when mattress buying for their newborn. Although it’s a foam mattress, it’s still comparatively quite firm and free of lead and phthalates which means no release harmful emissions as well. Moreover, one of the best things about this mattress is that it sits very well and firmly in all standard size cribs without leaving gaps which could pose as a threat to the baby’s safety.
Being water resistant is a blessing especially when it comes to baby mattresses. This feature allows for easy cleaning in case of dirty diaper or other such accidents. Moreover, this also means fewer stains and no smelly odors to deal with! In case you want to wash the vinyl covering, you can simply just unzip it and throw it in the washing machine to get the job done!
The vinyl covering happens to also be very sturdy and long lasting. It’s built to withstand any wear and tear for a long time. The mattress is also said to retain its original form even after years of usage which means you can carry it forward to toddlerhood as well. Moreover, it’s hypoallergenic hence making it a healthy option for your baby.
Passes the two finger test
The two finger test is usually done to check whether the edges of the mattress stand firm or not. If they tend to easily sink in, then you should reconsider the prospective mattress as it will most likely sink in the baby when he/she rolls closer to the edge. However, the Safety 1st Heavenly Dreams mattress passed this test with flying colors and is a great fit in all US standard built cribs.
- Meets all fire safety standards.
- Foam base makes it lightweight hence easier to change sheets.
- Foam base means less likely for toddlers will jump on and ruin its firmness.
- GreenGuard certified which mean low indoor chemical emissions.
- Typical polyurethane foam which means can harbor dust mites and mold over time.
- Not breathable which could lead to possible deprivation of oxygen in case the baby roles over.
- Complains about the center caving in after some time.
- Not a dual sided mattress which means the mattress may be firm for a toddler.
For all those eco-friendly, super sensitive and hyper conscience parents out there, the Sealy Soybean Foam-Core Crib Mattress is a dream come true for you all. What’s better than having your child sleep on a mattress made up of a renewable resource that substitutes as a better option to all those common toxic chemicals often used in the mattress manufacturing process? As the name suggests, this mattress has won thousands of hearts all over the world due to its foam specifically made from high density American Soy which ensures that not only is it hypoallergenic but also extremely durable.
With over 100 years of experience in sleep technology, the makers of Sealy Soybean Foam-Core Crib Mattress have come up with a great way to make sure there is enough air circulation within the mattresses’ core. These fancy airflow pockets are one of a kind and don’t include the use of dangerous metal vents. These breathable slats are adjusted on the side of the mattress making sure to keep the core breezy and light.
Pearl Embossed cover
The pearl embossed cover is tough wearing and waterproof; two important features always to look out for when mattress shopping for babies. This is because, babies tend to be messy and having a waterproof cover ensures that the core of the mattress doesn’t get ruined. Moreover, it’s stain resistant and allows for easy wiping with only the help of soap and water. Besides, the mattress is extremely lightweight so you can even lift it out to put it in the wash if the need arises!
Lightweight but sturdy
The soy based core warrants for an overall lightweight mattress which easily lifts for changing sheets and cleaning purposes. However, being lightweight doesn’t mean that the mattress is not sturdy and robust. It’s quite firm thus making sure that the baby’s head doesn’t conform into the mattress and lead to possible oxygen deprivation.
- Great choice for eco-conscience families due to its soy based foam which also ensures that your baby is not breathing in any additional toxic chemicals or petroleum based alternatives.
- Greenguard certified which means significantly reduced indoor emissions.
- Extra support and significantly reduced sagging due to the Soy based foam core.
- Not double sided for toddlers and newborns individually.
- Some reports by concerned parents about the mattress caving in overtime.
- Some parents find it too firm for their kids.
- Less than 30% soybean oil used in the mattress’s core.
While your initial reactions to memory foam will be mixed especially concerned with your baby’s safety, let it be known this is not some regular memory foam. The My First Mattress Premium Memory Foam is a one of a kind memory foam mattress that is manufactured on all the basic principal characteristics of adult memory foam mattress but a lot firmer so that your newborn’s safety is not compromised in any way. Furthermore, the mattress comes with a dual purpose; you can use it for your toddler as well without having to worry about any of he firmness being compromised.
The outer cover of the mattress is made out of velour which is not only soft and comforting but also waterproof hence protecting the mattress from any messy spills during diaper changes or otherwise. Moreover, it is comparatively a softer option than most mattresses found in the market at the moment. Also, it is easily removable and washable when required.
The velour cover is also a great anti-microbial surface that keeps all unwanted dust mites, mold and other dangerous agents off hence making this a great healthy mattress for your baby. The chances ofyour kid catching any spreading of illnesses or allergies are hence very low.
While the mattress employs the use of memory foam, it still doesn’t sink in the way normal memory foams tend to. This one remains firm and holds your baby’s posture upright without compromising on their safety. You don’t have to worry your kid not getting enough oxygen because the cover is quite firm. Also, the mattress tends to sit perfectly in the crib without any gaps on the edges that could be dangerous for your baby.
- Made without any heavy metals like mercury and lead along with no usage of formaldehyde or phthalates.
- 10 year warranty means transition from baby’s crib to toddler’s bed will not be an issue.
- Fits the crib interior perfectly without any added worries of contorting in from the edges that could prove hazardous for the newborn.
- People have mixed reviews about using memory foams for a newborn due to its prominently known trait of adjusting to the body’s frame which would be considered dangerous for a newborn baby.
- Although features dual purpose but does not have a softer side for toddlers and the firmness could be uncomfortable for them.
- Comes with a strong pungent odor and needs plenty of airing before usage.
If you’re looking for a firm but comfortable, hypoallergenic foam mattress for your new born baby, then checking out the Milliard Hypoallergenic Baby Crib Mattress will definitely be a good idea. This mattress is not only comfortable but certified free of harmful toxins that could be potentially dangerous to your baby’s health. Moreover, you don’t have to worry about getting the foam dirty to the core because it features a water proof covering that will help keep all potential messes at bay.
Having a waterproof encasement around the mattress is always a good idea when dealing with baby mattresses in particular. But the Milliard Hypoallergenic Baby Crib Mattress’s outer encasement is much more than a mere waterproof cover. It is in fact a thick polyester cover that adds to the overall stiffness of the mattress. This has been specifically added to relieve parents of their excessive worries regarding issues like oxygen deprivation.
While the mattress is very aesthetically pleasing with its blue polka dotted exterior, it is also hypoallergenic in nature. This means you don’t have to worry about your baby inhaling any toxic fumes and chemicals. Babies suffering from allergies and asthma will be able to rest peacefully and comfortably due to its resistance to antimicrobial bodies that could trigger any reaction.
Uncompromised comfort and safety
Although the core of the mattress is predominantly foam, but that doesn’t mean your baby’s safety is being compromised in anyway. The mattress is made with the ability to enhance maximum airflow so that regulating body temperature is easy. Moreover, due to its firm exterior, there are very less chances of the baby’s head contorting inwards and hindering oxygen supply.
- High density foam that doesn’t lose its original shape easily.
- Outer encasement of the mattress is waterproof from the top while allowing adequate air passage from the bottom.
- It’s hypoallergenic hence keeping dust mites and mold from taking residence on the mattress.
- Although the encasement is waterproof, it allows for adequate air ventilation.
- May release a toxic free pungent odor upon arrival. But letting it air out properly will release it of this pungent odor.
- Takes at least 48 hours to decompress to its full form after being unpacked.
One of the best innerspring mattresses in the market today, the Sealy Baby Firm Rest Crib Mattress is a great choice for parents that are looking for firmness, durability and of course safety in terms of health in a mattress for their newborns. This robust mattress fits all standard sized cribs and toddler beds without sagging or sinking at the edges which means parents don’t have to worry about calmly transitioning their kid from a crib to a toddler bed without any emotional disturbances.
Firm with extra support
With 204 interlocking steel coils, the Sealy Baby Firm Rest Crib Mattress comes with a high coil count compared to other innerspring mattresses found in the market today. This is a great feature as it adds to the overall firmness of the mattress and also adds more years to its life. The anti- sag weight distribution system consist of these interlocking coils that are interwoven closer than what you will find in other mattresses which means that the mattress won’t sink when your baby rests on it. Moreover, these coils are heat tempered to add to the overall comfort of the mattress. There is also a full perimeter border wire that uplifts the whole mattress and makes sure that our baby’s weight is equally distributed and there’s no sagging.
The mattress is built on two thick layers which are not only hypoallergenic but also comfortable and provide a great support to the baby. Moreover, the top layer features a waterproof covering which is coated with Staph-Gard. This super technology works as a great agent to keep all allergens at bay all the while helping parents to easily keep the mattress clean in case any messes or leaks take place. The waterproof covering doesn’t allow any liquid to seep into the mattress and form mold.
The mattress also features an air flow pocket on one side which allows fresh air to pass through the layers of the mattress and keep any mold or mildew from forming inside the mattress’s core. However, the best part about this airflow pocket is that it is stitched inside the mattress rather than being removable which is very dangerous for newborn babies as can lead to possible chocking.
- Meets all US safety standards regarding chemical toxins as well as being inflammable.
- The quality of the indoor air remains intact as the mattress is GreenGard certified which means very low levels of chemicals being released in the air.
- Can fit cribs as well as toddler beds.
- Complains of the airflow pocket being too small which hinders adequate passage of air.
A product that is not only budget friendly but of high quality as well, the Dream on Me mattress is more than a dream come true for most parents that are looking for comfort, economic ease and safety in one place. The mattress itself is very lightweight but that doesn’t compromise on its features, in fact it enhances their credibility even more
2 in 1; Support and comfort
It’s occasionally very difficult for parents to come across an option that not only provides the extra support newborn babies need but one that also provides comfort to their sensitive bodies. The Dream on Me mattress is made up of 88 interwoven coils that provide adequate support all the while keeping the surface unitary and even at all times. The coils are evenly spaced out which adequately divides the firmness of the mattress.
2 layered foams
The coils are supported by two layers of hypoallergenic foams that provide the baby comfort and safety against any potential allergies or allergens that could affect his/her health in any way. There is also a still wire that encircles the whole mattress and makes sure to hold up the baby’s body and provide it with enough support that would not let him/her sink in at any time.
Since the baby will be in constant contact with the outermost cover of the mattress, the manufacturers have made sure to make it waterproof as well as antibacterial. The waterproof feature makes sure that none of the baby’s messes get seeped into the mattress and form mold or mildew while its antibacterial properties ensure that the baby can easily rest and play on the mattress without attracting any bacteria or harmful allergens.
- Great value for money.
- Lock stitching that makes sure liquids don’t seep into the mattress.
- Stain resistant cover means your mattress will always look new and fresh.
- Lack of dual sidedness which means toddlers also sleep on the firm side.
- No airflow pockets means the inner layers don’t get aired that often.
As the name suggests, the Serta Perfect Start Crib and Toddler Mattress is made specifically to address all your newborn’s needs. It consists of all the features parents usually look for when going to buy a mattress for their newborn babies for example, a waterproof cover and a durable firm surface for adequate support.
Firm but comfy
Since your baby will be spending majority of his/her time lying on their back, it is important that you look for a mattress that comes with a comfortable surface. However, being comfortable doesn’t mean that you don’t take into account firmness. A firm finish is specifically important as it will hold your baby up and make sure he/she doesn’t sink into the mattress which can be dangerous. Serta Perfect Start Crib and Toddler Mattress is the perfect combination of firmness and comfort.
Another great feature of the Serta Perfect Start Crib and Toddler Mattress is that it is extremely lightweight which makes it easier for parents to easily change covers and clean the mattress when the need arises. The polyester core allows the mattress to remain snug and comfy while being lightweight at the same time.
Easy wipe laminated cover
With babies, accidents are always prone to happen and having a mattress that you can easily clean is actually a plus point. The Serta Perfect Start Crib and Toddler Mattress comes with a laminated cover that can be easily wiped clean without having any liquids set into the mattress and leave stains that could attract bacteria. Also, because of its lightweight parents can also easily remove it out of the crib and use mild soap and water to clean the outer surface. Moreover, the cover uses lock stitching done at the edges of the mattress which means there is very less chance of any mess sinking into the stitched depressions and causing fungus and bacteria to grow.
- The lock stitching is at the edges where it’s difficult for messes to reach.
- Hypoallergenic polyester core.
- Green Guard certified hence keeping the quality of the indoor air in close check.
- No apparent sagging or dipping of the corners.
- Polyester means the mattress may get too warm.
- Not breathable. This could be potentially dangerous for the baby in case he/she rolls over. Also, the mattress would harbor dust mites or other allergens in its core.
- No airflow pockets for the interior of the mattress to get aired.
10. American Baby Company Waterproof Quilted Crib Size Fitted Mattress Cover made with Organic Cotton
This American Baby Company mattress is the perfect amalgamation of organic, convenience, and comfort. The manufacturers have made sure that the baby’s safety and comfort are not compromised in any way by including carefully considered features such as fully organic cover made out of cotton that keeps all toxic chemicals away from the baby’s sensitive nostrils. And for the adult’s comfortable sleep, there is also a list of the best mattresses for backpain.
Three perfect layers
This American Baby Company mattress features the three most desirable layers parents look for in a baby mattress. The first one is a fully organic layer which means your baby will not be breathing in toxic chemicals. The second layer is 100 breathable polyester which not only keeps the mattress upright with a solid surface but also makes sure that the insides are adequately aired so that no mold or bacteria gets formed. The third layer is the base layer and is made up of water resistant breathable polyester that helps keep the mattress clean and free of any microbial agents that could be potentially hazardous for your baby’s health.
Occasionally parents are not always comfortable with wiping their baby’s mattresses clean but instead prefer throwing the mattress in the wash once in a while so that it is complete clean inside out. With this American Baby Company mattress, parents can do exactly that. Washing it in the machine with cold water and mild detergent will help increase the mattress’s overall life and provide a clean and safe atmosphere for the baby.
Perfect water resistant top layer
Being water resistant means that the material used is not going to hinder the passage of air but at the same time make sure that the inside of the mattress remains clean. The inner layers of the mattress are adequately aired without the top layer being completely waterproof. Also, occasionally the elements used to make the top layers waterproof include toxic chemicals which the baby would be dangerous for a baby that spends most of his/her time on the mattress.
- Organic top layer means baby will be safe from inhaling any toxic chemicals in.
- The mattress does not sink in and stays upright for many years.
- Can be easily washed in the washing machine.
- Not dual sided which means could be comparatively firm for a toddler.
- May pill up after being washed in the washing machine.